Most of us see herbal remedies as a safe way to medicate, with few side effects.
if they contain an unlicensed ingredient called butterbur, they could
cause serious liver damage or even organ failure, experts have warned.
Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has urged
British herbal shops to remove products containing butterbur - also
called Petasites hybridus - from their shelves.
is normally used to treat migraines, but it contains pyrrolizidine
alkaloids, which studies have shown can cause serious liver damage and
organ failure. Currently, no
products containing the ingredient have been sanctioned for use in
Britain under the Traditional Herbal Registration Scheme. Several other
European countries have also banned it.
the MHRA said products containing butterbur are currently being
marketed in the UK. And while no adverse reactions to it have been
reported here, cases of liver toxicity have been reported elsewhere in
Source - Daily Mail